Isn't it unsafe to use camp stove & heater indoor? : LUSENET : TimeBomb 2000 (Y2000) : One Thread

Here's what Red Cross spokesman Mr. Thomas warned those who prepare for Y2K, "Please do not plan to use gas-fueled appliances, like an oven, as an alternative heating source. The same goes for wood-burning devices or liquid-fueled heating devices that are not designed to be used in a residential structure. Camp stoves and heaters should only be used outdoors in a well-ventilated area. If you do purchase an alternative heating device, make sure it is approved for use indoors and is listed with the Underwriters Laboratories (UL)." For the full article, go to I used to tell people in my Y2K survival seminar that these propane or coleman fuel stove are okay, but now I have second thoughts. I am now leaning towards those food-heating portable stoves that restaurants have been using for years, would those butane stoves be safer? At least many restaurants have used them with few or little incidents? They use small butane cartridge, each last 2-3 hours. I am still gathering more info.

-- Raymond Kwong (, December 15, 1998


I was planning to use a kerosene heater indoors. Is there anything I need to know about safety besides having adequate ventilation?

-- Kevin (, December 16, 1998.

1) Ray: All devices that have a flame, consume oxygen, and produce both carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide. CO2 (dioxide) is fatal to you but requires a fairly high concentration. CO (monoxide) is a MUCH bigger problem. If you are exposed to CO2, simply removing yourself to fresh air will remedy the problem as your own metabolism can get rid of it. HOWEVER, CO binds so well with hemoglobin that you will NOT excrete it, and you will NOT regain the ability to transport oxygen on the hemoglobin. No oxygen transport and you die, period.


The ventilation is for more Oxygen coming in and to take away the CO and CO2. 2)Kevin See above plus:

either get a name brand (Toyo, Kerosun, etc) with a tip-over shut- off, or use an older one and do not have kids, pets or clumsy adults around it.

read all directions, ESPECIALLY the clear distance rules (nothing closer than XX feet). Though, as you get to using them, you will note which sides are hotter or cooler, if they focus the heat, as my Kerosun does. My antique, however, does not and I have to be very careful where it gets set.

3) BOTH OF YOU: Be VERY careful, use common sense, use the battery operated CO detectors from Home Depot ($20 =/- How cheap can you get) in each room with an auxiliary heat unit. Remeber, DARWIN IS Y2K COMPLIANT!


-- Chuck a night driver (, December 16, 1998.


Thanks. The info is MUCH appreciated!

-- Kevin (, December 16, 1998.

the red cross is concerned about the kinds of problems that occur every winter, being magnified in a y2k crisis by inexperienced people using unfamiliar and more dangerous sources of heat and light. the 2 biggest potential problems are fire and carbon monoxide poisoning. the obvious solution to me, is to become familiar NOW, with operation of a woodstove, kerosene heater, etc. also make sure that if you buy and use these items, that you simultaneously buy and use carbon monoxide detectors, smoke detectors, a fire extinguisher, and extra batteries for them.

-- Jocelyne Slough (, December 18, 1998.

See my other posting about the full Red Cross set of warnings and preparation techniques for y2K.

There are few replies from the forum itself there -most likely because the Red Cross isn't saying anything not aleeady covered in other threads more thoroughly - but I'm hoping that some people who are otherwise resisting will "trust" a Red Cross source and start preparing.

So I request you print their warning as a "starter" for DGI's/DWGI's.

-- Robert A. Cook, P.E. (Kennesaw GA) (, December 18, 1998.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ