water proofing a camcorder

greenspun.com : LUSENET : Editing DV Films : One Thread

I will be kayaking the Yukon River this summer and would like to take along a Sony TRV900. I am looking for ways to water proof it, commercial plastic bags or water proof housings? Size and weight are important.

-- Dick Postma (dpostma@qnet.com), January 03, 1999


I don't know about compatibility, price, etc. But the commercial website 888camcorder (http://www.888camcorder.com) sells underwater camcorder equipment.

-- Dan Seitz (Dansietz@aol.com), January 14, 1999.

This guy builds nice housings for a fraction of the cost of traditional ones from Ikelite, etc. He uses waterproof electronic controls. Calls his product the "Mini Cam Sub." Write to: The Right Spirit Corp., 118 S. Westshore Blvd., Suite 231, Tampa, FL 33609, 813- 286-2455. His name is Bob Kovalsky.

-- Dan Philgreen (dan@dpproductions.com), January 20, 1999.

I have been a underwater videographer here in the Philippines for the past three (3) years.I use a Gate's uw housing for my sony VX1000(see:www.gateshousing.com).

Commercial plastic bags are good as long your kit doesn't fall off into water deeper than 10 feet. After that your camera might get damaged by the water pressure. If that is a concern for you, then you'd want to use a metal/acrylic uw housing.

-- Gordon Cancio (gordon@pworld.net.ph), May 01, 1999.

I've taken my TRV-85 and VX-1000 through many caves, some of which have areas where to get through you must go completely submerged for a short distance. As for you, size and weight were a concern as well. I opted for using a padded ammo can (great waterproof containers) as a transport case while not shooting, and a 10 mil. plastic waterproof bag simular to the commercial bags sold in many of the camera stores. If I were kayaking the Yukon, I don't think I'd hesitate to use the same setup. BTW, ammo cans come in various shapes and sizes. Check with a military surplus store...you might be able to find one that will strap to your kayak more easily than the standard 50mm ammo can.

C Ya, Joe

-- Joe Giunta (jgiunta@bigfoot.com), August 19, 1999.

The smaller the beter, plus resistance, also recomend a mecanic tipe instead of a electronic Housing, be sure to order the wide angle lens, all this will gave you fredom of sport.

-- Roberto Llerena (llerena@tricom.net), November 12, 2001.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ