Propane Indoorsgreenspun.com : LUSENET : TimeBomb 2000 (Y2000) : One Thread
We live where there are no piped in gas lines. We cook with Propane all the time. We have a Hardwick range, Looks and works just like a piped in gas stove. 100 lbs of propane last's about 6 months. It vents in to our kitchen. Not a problem. When we are in our motor home we have a propane stove, Not a problem. I use a propane heater in my den it is on now, the room is sealed. I can still breath just can't spell. Your milage may very. :-)
-- && (&&@&&.&), December 17, 1999
Having hard time speling...so slepy....got to go..........
-- (CO metered)LM (firstname.lastname@example.org), December 17, 1999.
I bought a propane heater - the kind that hooks up to a propane tank. The box says to not use indoors. Is this a legal cover your a$$ or should I really not use it indoors?
-- Clare (email@example.com), December 17, 1999.
The small propane heater I just picked up did say that it should be used in a ventilated area, but it was intended for indoor use. I also have a good carbon monoxide detector too. Just a thought.
-- Ludi (firstname.lastname@example.org), December 17, 1999.
My propane dealer told me illegal in California to have propane tank IN your house (or in your car - guess I have to rent a pick-up to take it home). Supposedly carbon monoxide risk and even with C0 monitor too risky. I even asked...it I get a long hose and leave propane tank outside and have stove inside by open window....he said too risky. I don't know about that.....
-- Sheri (email@example.com), December 17, 1999.
Keeping a propane tank in the house is dangerous, but burning propane indoors is not. You will need ventelation (not much) and water vapor can be a problem with burning propane. Propane is heavier than air so the propane from a leaking tank will settle at a low point in the house waiting for a spark. Bummer stuff.
You may want to consider a gas hose (like for welding) to feed a heater with a small tank outside. There are propane heaters that aren't safe indoors. Those are the catylitic (sp?) heaters and usually attach to a 20 lb tank, if propane is burning as a flame it should be safe.
-- Brian (firstname.lastname@example.org), December 17, 1999.
Baloney, I cook with propane stove everyday. Just don't try to use it for heating, they do emit CO, just not much.
If it says not for indoor use it usually means it. I have a ventless propane fireplace. It produces no CO. Tried a vented one without venting it and CO meter started climbing immediately. Get an indoor rated heater. Coleman makes a catalytic one rated for indoors. $44 at Wal Mart.
The best meter short of a professional one is the Nitehawk with the digital readout. It's always withing 1 or 2 of the professional meter in the ranges that count.
-- LM (email@example.com), December 17, 1999.
Properly combusted propane burns to leave water as its final byproduct. What causes problems and makes manufacturers always say "never use indoors" is the fact that IMPROPER COMBUSTION CAUSES CO (carbon monoxide). If you have a window open that provides sufficient fresh air to provide oxygen for clean, complete combustion of your propane, you shouldn't have any problems. Common sense tells anyone who uses large open flames indoors--like fireplaces and propane ranges--for long periods of time to open a window an inch or so to allow fresh air for combustion to enter.
-- Liz (firstname.lastname@example.org), December 17, 1999.
Had a 34' 5th wheel that I lived in for 3 years. Propane stove and the heater didn't work. I turned on a burner on low...the heat rose up to te sleeping area...TOASTY! I sufered know prolims becuss uf it!
-- Satanta (Dizzy@night.com), December 17, 1999.
Clare, yes it is a cover their a$$ warning in case some loser tries to sue them. I tested mine for several hours and the CO levels never even approached dangerous. To be sure, every few hours just open a window and replenish the oxygen.
-- Hawk (email@example.com), December 17, 1999.
In the third world, where its generally warm and windows and doors are open, most (if not all people) cook with propane and have the tank next to the cooker. They don't get natural gas and generally don't have electric cookers. They also don't have basements with pilot lights. Also when it rains, the windows are usually shut and cooking goes on, but the houses are not hermitically sealed with insulation. So judge for yourself. Personally I think as long as you are ventilated CO is not much of a problem. Propane indoors might be another thing in a North American style house however.
So rule number 1. Be well ventilated. Rule number 2. Propane is heavier than air so make sure if you've got it inside and leaks, it has a way to escape outside at ground level.
I will be keeping the tank outside a window and have the pipe come in through the window, which I will open more while cooking. I'll also have a co meter near by. For storage of propane tanks I'm still not settled. Keeping them outside means they could get stolen and then all preparations come to naught as the fuel is gone. (locking the tanks may not help as the would be thief will probably just open the valves to be spiteful) I'm thinking of sealing the 20 lb tanks in heavy plastic bags which will have a small hole at ground level into which a length of garden hose will be sealed with tape to allow the propane to ventilate if it leaks. I'm then thinking of keeping the tanks in my garage near the door and keeping the door open about 1" so there is a crack betwen the door and the ground and have the hose poke out under the door. I'm hoping this would be safe. Any comments?
How many people do you cook for and how much cooking do you do every day (an estimate of how many mins or hours on high and low would be usefull)? I'm trying to see what you do so I can check how long 100lbs would last me. We have 4 people in the house to cook for.
-- Interested Spectator (firstname.lastname@example.org_side), December 17, 1999.
I found a very usefull article on Jim Lord's site about propne heaters that can be used indoors - they are called vent free and burn in such a way that no co is produced.
here's the link
-- Interested Spectator (is@the_ring.side), December 17, 1999.
Still here, Co. hasn't got to me yet. We cook on 100 lb tank for about 6 months. The oven is on every day, we bake bread and like roast beef. They make vented and un-vented heaters for indoor use. The older ones don't have sensors built in. My home is well over 100 years old and it vents it self, the heater is 15 years old. A propane heater properly installed is not a problem. The 100 lb tanks are a problem, they can be carried off, I have a chain and a lock on my 2 tanks. The 500 lb tank is set in cement. Do not keep them indoors, I have had the 1 lb tanks leak in my car trunk.
-- && (&&@&&.&), December 18, 1999.
Hmm, if you're concerned about 100lb tanks walking, any suggestions on the smaller 20lb tanks? You don't think my idea above would work or is safe?
BTW how many people do you cook for? If I am understanding correctly you have 2x100lb plus a 500lb tank - 700lbs altogether but use only 100lb per 6 months for cooking. Is the rest used for heating?
-- Interested Spectator (is@the_ring.side), December 18, 1999.
The 2 #100 are on the kitchen side of house. They have a regulator that switches when the first tank is empty to the secound tank and this also gives me a red indicator, so I can order a tank. The #500 is on the other side of the house and runs the heater. We cook for 3, canned tons of stuff from the garden. Stove is on alot. The propane heater is secondary heat, primary is fuel oil blend. I have and old wood cook stove in the garage, did some caning on it this summer to keep the house cool.
-- && (&&@&&.&), December 18, 1999.