OHIO - Raccoon, short in cable cause power failuresgreenspun.com : LUSENET : Grassroots Information Coordination Center (GICC) : One Thread
Raccoon, short in cable cause power failures
Monday, July 24, 2000
A raccoon that climbed into an electrical substation, and an unrelated short in a cable yesterday caused power failures for more than 6,500 Greater Cleveland homes and businesses.
Cleveland Electric Illuminating Co. spokesman Todd Schneider said Walton Hills, Oakwood and parts of Garfield Heights lost power for about 90 minutes, beginning at 4:45 a.m., when a raccoon electrocuted itself in a Northfield Rd. substation.
About 2,600 customers were affected.
In Euclid, a short in an underground cable leading to a substation knocked out power to 4,000 customers, Schneider said.
Police said the short, about 10 a.m., blew out a manhole cover in a street, prompting the dispatching of emergency vehicles. No injuries were reported.
Most of the power was restored by noon.
-- Doris (firstname.lastname@example.org), July 25, 2000