discrimination question

greenspun.com : LUSENET : Disabled Parents Network : One Thread

My girlfriend ( the mother of our child) is in a wheelchair and the child protcetive service (C.P.S.) in our aera is dealing us a fit because they think she cant take care or our baby. We think this is discrimination. Because she is able to care for him ( giving baths, feed ect..) If anyone has information about this or has been through it please e-mail me at case1127@aol.com.

Thank You

-- Anonymous, February 13, 2001


The answers in these things are complicated because the interest of the child is as important as the interest of the parent.

You should ask someone local to you for assistance. It is hard to recomend exactly where to look because agencies are different in every location. Centers for independent living are ussually good places to start. Ask a bunch of different people until you find someone who sounds like they can help.

Parents with disability certainly can be unfairly treated but if the possibility exists that a child is at risk all parts of the situation must be made very clear.

I have a disability and feel like I need to be a better parent than the average person because of this. This is OK with me.

Thanks, Don

-- Anonymous, February 20, 2001

I am a disabled mother of a young child (3). The local social services department will not help us in any way with my child even though I have deterioated and now need to use a electric wheelchair for 50% of the time.

My husband and I have just made a complaint to the directorate of social service and we await his investigation.

I would suggest that you and your girlfriend do the same. Make a complaint immediately to the complaints officer stating your case very clearly with fact not emotion.

Our situation is such that we are having major alterations and adaptions on our home. I am lucky that my child behaves well and that I can still walk a short distance. I have no idea how I will cope when the work starts.

It seems to me that your social services wants to take over with no regard for family and ours expects us to struggle alone.

If I can be of any support or help contact me.

Alison Thacker

-- Anonymous, March 08, 2001

Moderation questions? read the FAQ