Kazakhstan: Eleven hospitalized after eating dog meat

greenspun.com : LUSENET : Grassroots Information Coordination Center (GICC) : One Thread

Nando Times

ALMATY, Kazakhstan (May 18, 2001 9:55 p.m. EDT) - Eleven youngsters were hospitalized after eating kebabs made of dog meat in the former Soviet republic of Kazakhstan, doctors said Thursday.

The youngsters, residents of the Pavlodar region in Kazakhstan, were taken to hospital suffering from a parasitical worm after eating dog meat kebabs during a picnic last month, said Yury Kalinin, deputy head doctor of the regional sanitary office.

"They ate kebabs. I think they knew they were eating dog meat," Kalinin said.

The young men and women were only hospitalized this month as the disease tends to incubate over several weeks, he added.

-- Rachel Gibson (rgibson@hotmail.com), May 19, 2001


They should have thoroughly cooked the kebabs. We have a similar problem here in the States with undercooked hamburger and E.Coli.

-- John LIttmann (LITTMANNJOHNTL@AOL.COM), May 19, 2001.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ