How long can kerosene be kept in a plastic can and still be used in a kero-sun heater?greenspun.com : LUSENET : Freedom! self reliance : One Thread
How long can kerosene be kept in a plastic can and still be used in a kero-sun heater?
-- Kenneth in N.C. (email@example.com), August 17, 2001
I'm not an expert on this but we had 6 5gal containers of kerosene put up dec./99. I still use it in a one burner kerosene cook stove and it still does what its supposed to. I checked the wick after several uses and it looks good too. So from my experience it's been good for almost 2 yrs now. Blessings Peggy
-- peggy (firstname.lastname@example.org), August 17, 2001.
We stored ours in Oct. '99. Was just wondering how long it was good for. A friend said that Kerosene breaks down and becomes varsol. So it would still be useful as a cleaner.
-- Kenneth in N.C. (email@example.com), August 18, 2001.
Another question...how do you know when it has gone bad? Is there any danger involved? I bought several gallons in '99 to use with my Aladin Lamps, so needless to say, I still have a lot left.
-- Pat in Spokane (PattyPooh12@hotmail.com), August 23, 2001.
Pat that's kinda one of things I was wondering. I've heard that varsol is more explosive than kerosene. SO if kerosene breaks down to varsol does that make it more dangerous to use? If Yes will it explode in my lamp?
Were going to transfer out our old to a old can for parts cleaner and refil with fresh.
-- Kenneth in N.C. (firstname.lastname@example.org), August 23, 2001.
kerosene is an alafatic. (not sure on the spelling) Never the less it contains heavies. If you keep it sealed, it will last a long time. I have had some for 10 years and it works well.
I'm looking for old aladin lamps. If you can help let me know.
-- Jim (email@example.com), July 27, 2002.
I use to work in an oil refinery. Keep the kerosene in a cool dark place, well sealed. It should last for many years. If the color darkens much, it may have formed gums or oxidation products. Then you should recycle it with used oil. Do not use varsol or solvent. It is much more volatile and will evaporate through the wick and cause an odor and danger in your home.
-- Robert Deutscher (firstname.lastname@example.org), January 08, 2003.