Negative Carrier question : LUSENET : B&W Photo - Buy/Sell/Trade : One Thread

I am a true amature, what size negative carrier would i need for 120 size film, and if i can't find a vivitar E 33 carrier in that size is ther an other brand that would be compatable or is ther a way to make my own carrier? HELP!!!!!!!!!

-- Tanya Dakin (, November 02, 2001


120 film can give a number of negative sizes depending on the camera you use it in. Some provide a small (2-1/4 x 1-3/4") image (also called 4.5x6 cm), others go 2-1/4 x 2-1/4" (6x6cm), 2-1/4 x 2-3/4" (6x7cm), 2-1/4 x 3-1/4" (6x9cm) and some panoramic cameras go to longer negatives e.g. up to 2-1/4 x 7" (6x17cm).

Depending on the enlarger you have, you may be restricted as to the largest 120 negative you can use. You'll have to check the enlarger manual.

If a negative carrier is not available or if you want to experiment before buying one, you can make one out of 2 pieces of stiff cardboard, preferably with one surface black. Cut to the appropriate size for your enlarger (trace out the size of whatever carrier you have for 35mm film) and then cut an identically placed hole in each that is the size of the negative you get from your camera. Align the holes and then tape one edge of the combo. voila! you have a carrier!

I have done this for odd sized negatives (obsolete film sizes) and it does work.

-- Ron Gratz (, November 09, 2001.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ