I want to transfer films from the TV to my DV in/out digital camcorder

greenspun.com : LUSENET : Editing DV Films : One Thread

I bought a JVC GR-DVP3 few month ago. It has a USB dv in and out connection. I wonder if there is a way to record TV programs onto the mini DV tape of my cancorder. Can I???

-- Bab Boor (babboor@hotmail.com), January 13, 2002


The USB port in the GR-DVP3 is designed for transfering still images, sound files and MPEG4 clips, but not film in DV format. For that, you will need to use its I.Link/Firewire port. The only problem though, is that I don't know of any TV sets carrying an I.Link/Firewire port. Another possible way would be to capture the film via an RCA composite port, but the documentation on JVC's web site (http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL026270&page=2) do not mention this option for your camcorder.

The way I see it, you will need to go thru an Analog-to-Firewire(DV) converter, but these don't come cheap ($200.00+).

-- Pedro Franco (pfranco2@earthlink.net), January 18, 2002.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ