Thanks! : LUSENET : Dairygoats : One Thread

Just want to thank everyone for all the good information here. Have been looking over old posts and have learned a lot!! Vicki, read your links response to Ken in Feb. Gonna go to them all and check them out. And back up a copy of bookmarks on a floppy for safekeeping. Wow, what a list and hours of research.

So nice to see good information and supportive people without all the bickering, backbiting and politics on other lists;-)

While I don't know a lot about goats as yet, I can answer questions about electrical/electronic topics, reburbishing old milking equipment, building, and other topics on the hardware side of goat raising if anyone needs help. Even tax questions as of 1999 updates. (Trying hard to forget all that after preparing returns since 1968.) And if you're having trouble with your banker, I know most of their dirty little secrets having been one for 23 years;-)

Thanks again,


-- Dennis (, April 02, 2002


Its just like a breath of fresh air her Dennis, isn't it? I love the peacefulness of this board. Hope things are going good with you and Joe. Speaking of taxes, I think I finally found maybe the one and only competant accountant in AR. Tried to call ya'll but guess i missed ya. Take care and hugs.

-- Bernice (, April 02, 2002.

Dennis, What a great resume! I'll be putting your email in my addy book for future reference! Have a good day, Judy

-- Judy Corwin (, April 02, 2002.

O.k. Dennis, you asked for it! I have a milking machine that I need to put some sort of a inline, from the pulsator to the airtank, moisture collector. The way my airtank is designed it does not let me empty it when it collects moisture, which it is already doing. I can see dropletts in the line, though when I do disconnect it after milking I can dry it some with a line cleaner. Also can you tell I really don't know what all this stuff is really called? :) Also I have clear inflations and claws, also clear tubes. The little doo- hicky :) that connects the inflations and claws to the hose is brass, problem is it comes off the claw way to easy. Connected to the tube with a hose clamp, but the threaded nipple that connects to the claw is to small, the rubber on the claw slides over this nipple. Or should I just put another hose clamp on that end also? Could it possible be the wrong size, a tad to small maybe? I know you want them to come off for cleaning, but this is rediculous how easy it slips off. I am sure I can think of other questions :) Vicki

-- Vicki McGaugh TX (Nubians) (, April 02, 2002.

Hi Vicki,

I've seen automatic drains for a drain end but I'll look for one or a drier that will install inline. Probably the best solution would be a moisture collector made for a compressor. Just reversed;-) Will get back to you. Bet I can find one at Grainger.

Need a little clarification on the nipples. It's milk line your talking about from the inflations to the claw or the vacuum line from the inflations to the claw? Really for either, if they're stock nipples that came stock on the equipment from the factory, it sounds like the wrong tubing size. Vacuum line should be smaller than milk line. Milk line should have a blue stripe on it to denote food grade. Vacuum line doesn't have the stipe and is cheaper. The line should friction fit, without comming loose easily. Try to measure the diameter of he very end of the nipple where the tubing goes on, not the wider diameter of the ribs. Buy line that size. The cheapest way would be to put clamps on both ends, but that doesn't solve the question about being sure the milk line is food grade.

I'll find sources and get back. This is fun stuff for me!


-- Dennis (, April 03, 2002.


Milk tubing: &cart_id=6809743.24300

Vacuum tubing: cart_id=6809743.24300

But keep in mind that Tractor Supply, Atwoods, or your local farm and ranch will probably carry the tubing also. Blue or black stripe for food grade.

My 5 inch thick Grainger catalog is in Oklahoma and I'm in AR. Tried their site but it's infuriating to search. What you need is a moisture trap for an air compressor, usually 1/4", 3/8" or 1/2" inlet and outlet. Check your inlet fitting for size. They look like a setiment bulb on an old car or tractor. Shouldn't be more than about $26 bucks at a tool company like Steve's wholesale. With higher vacuum levels there could be a problem with moisture evaporating under vacuum and going through the trap. But at these levels it should work fine. When I get back to OK again I'll get my Grainger catalog and email you a pick and model number of what I'm talking about . Connect the outlet of the trap to the inlet of your system.

Hope this helps,


-- Dennis (, April 03, 2002.

Dennis, husband is a contractor, we have a Grainger catalog right here! Tell me what you would buy! Thanks for the info on food grade tubing, it is definetly not what I have!!! :) The brass fitting fits the tubing fine, it is the inflation it slips too easily out of. I will go look at those links. vicki

-- Vicki McGaugh TX (Nubians) (, April 03, 2002.

Vicki, neat!

Go to the compressed air section and look for a moisture, or water trap. Should look have an inlet and outlet on the top, and a clear bulb at the bottom so see what's in it. The ones with dessication powder are too expensive. With just a few brass fittings to match your pump inlet you'll be in business. Be sure to connect the inlet on the trap to the line to the claw, and the outlet side of the trap to the inlet of your pump or tank. The traps I'm talking about should not be expensive.


-- Dennis (, April 03, 2002.

To the pulsator, not the claw, sorry!

-- Dennis (, April 03, 2002.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ