How to cope with Chronic pain without painkillers : LUSENET : Disabled Parents Network : One Thread

I have RSD (Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy) and subsequently have chronic pain. I am looking to starting my family but how do people cope without being able to take painkilling medication? I am allowed to take Co-proxamol, but cannot take my anti-inflammatory painkillers. I do not want my unborn baby to be affected, but know that life will be very painful without pain relief. I have already tried a TENS machine, reflexology, and accupuncture, but to no avail. Can anyone suggest anything to help me?

-- Anonymous, September 11, 2003


Hi Dana, l have not a clue what RSD is but l have CTD - Connective Tissue Disease, somewhere between RA and Lupus and l didn't even consider that parenting was an option for me until l had attended a PAIN MANAGEMENT CLINIC. That was 10 years ago and l now have a 9 year old and a 5 year old...consequently l am completley knackered and have masses of wrinkles, but hey, a small price to pay!!! In some parts of the country this NHS programme is called The Expert Patient. It involves a group of 'patients' attending a pain course; understanding the psychology of pain, medication, relaxtion and the practical side of life; phsiotherapy, partner involvment.I could go on! Of course it doesn't take the pain away but it definitely gave me coping methods. Good Luck Lin

-- Anonymous, October 03, 2003

Moderation questions? read the FAQ