Seaboard Depot at Venice, Florida Re-Opensgreenspun.com : LUSENET : ACL and SAL Railroads Historical Society : One Thread
At 12-noon today a dedication ceremony was held at the restored Seaboard depot in Venice, Florida. Several hundred people attended the event, including many state, county, and city officials. About $2.5 million was spent on the rehabilitation. Next month, the depot will become a transfer facility for Sarasota County Area Transit buses. Retail shops are envisioned inside. The depot itself was first opened to the public in March, 1927 and was funded by the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers. At that time, the union was developing Venice into a model city. Erected by Seaboard forces, the $48,000 structure was designed by the NYC architectural firm of Walker & Gillette. Like many buildings and homes in Venice, the station was conceived in the Mediterranean Revival style. Many of its wood beams and trusses were harvested from area forests. Among the dignitaries present at today's ceremony was Don M. Hahs, international president of the BLE. A special historical marker was also unveiled. A caboose, in Seaboard markings, is displayed near the depot as will be a circus car. (Venice was once the winter home of the Ringling Circus). The last passenger train stopped at Venice in 1971.
-- Gregg Turner (GreggTurner@msn.com), October 24, 2003