is there financial assistance availible to students with disabled parents? : LUSENET : Disabled Parents Network : One Thread

My father is legally blind and there for restricted to how much income he can make. I want to go back to school but, do not have the funding to do so. Are there grants avalible to student's with disabled parents?

-- Anonymous, June 01, 2004


i have no answer, just wondering if you have gotten any information, my father is quadrapalegic and i am searching for financial assistance as well, thanks for any input, Krystle Reynolds

-- Anonymous, August 11, 2004

I would also appreciate some help in this area. My Dad is blind, I am a senior in high school, and I'm looking for some grants and scholarships or assistance of any kind. If you find any answers, I would appreciate an email.

-- Anonymous, September 01, 2004

I haven't been able to find anything myself, my mom is a quadriplegic and I am a senior getting ready to head off to college. Hope we can all find something! M.E.

-- Anonymous, September 12, 2004

I am looking for scholarships too. I am a senior in high school and will be graduating in the spring of 2005. It is in a way refreshing to hear that there are other people out there who are dealing with disabled parents. I used to get so frustrated because it always seems like everyone around me has such seemingly "perfect" parents. I have been taking care of myself and my parents since I was about 13 and refuse to settle for anything less than going to college! If you have any information please e-mail me, as I will do the same for you. Happy searching!

-- Anonymous, October 21, 2004

Hi there, At the moment, I am trying to find someone that will sponsor a grant for children of "naturally" disabled parents (for example disability caused by birth defect). My mom has Spina Bifida and so when I go off to college next year, finances are going to be even tighter than they are now.

I have come across grants/scholarships for children of disabled parents, but only if the parent has been disabled through military service, accidents on the job, terrorist attacks, service in the police force, fire departments, etc. I think there might be a few for children and/or children of parents with AIDS, ADD, ADHD, and the visual and hearing impaired. There is a book that all this is in with new editions for every 2 years or so. "Financial Aid for the Disabled and Their Families." It is written by Gail Ann Schlachter and R. David Weber. You can ask for it at your local library. If they do not have a copy of the book, perhaps they can interloan a copy or purchase one. It is available for $40.00 from Reference Service Press. or call (916) 939-9620. The best advice I can give is to go to the library and search through all the reference section. There is always multiple scholarship books and millions of scholarships, for it seams everything but for kids like us. I even found a list of colleges once that offer their own scholarships for children of disabled parents, but i'm not sure of the qualifications. Hope this helps and God bless, Rebecca Volzer

-- Anonymous, October 21, 2004

I just received amazing news! I found someone who would sponsor a scholarship and I thought I would let you all know. Through the Looking Glass, an organization in California has started a scholarship for children of disabled parents. If you want, feel free to pass this information on. I hope this helps. Thank you. Have a wonderful week and good luck! ~Rebecca Volzer

-- Anonymous, November 17, 2004

Moderation questions? read the FAQ