scholarships for children of disabled parents! : LUSENET : Disabled Parents Network : One Thread

I am starting a petition to get organizations, companies, anybody to support a grant/scholarship. My mother is wheelchair bound, and it seems that the finacial situation that we deal with is common in families with disabled parents.


if you know anybody or anyplace that we can ask for support, please respond to this. Even if it is just an idea and you dont really know if it is possible. IDEAS! even if it sounds completely unrealistic.

If you can talk to anybody that has contacts, even those people not involved with people of disabilities, please do so. Often, they know someone, who knows someone, who knows someone that can really do something big. Sometimes, people with a lot of money and a good heart often are looking for something they can support, but can't find anybody to do so... and they don't want their name lost in some bigger organization. To these people, they see it not only as helping others, but also getting their name out into the world.... it can become a popularity game for them.

So please, get the word out. The more ideas, the better a chance we have, and the quicker it will happen. And the more support I can get to get this mobilized, the more likely it will work. Hope to hear from you!

-- Anonymous, June 15, 2004


Dear Rebecca, I'm 100% disabled myself and I'm looking for any scholarship help available. My son is the top ranked student in his high school and working quite a load his Senior year. Please e-mail me if you come across anything and I'll do the same. Goodluck, Michael Best

-- Anonymous, September 23, 2004

I also am disabled(with MS) and have twin boys starting college hopefully in 2 years. If either of you find any info and can pass it on to me it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Joe Napolitano

-- Anonymous, October 09, 2004

And I thought I was the only one looking for this - to assist hopefully - if it applies, you may want to look into lineage scholarships such as Mayflower Society, Daughters of the American revolution, e4tc. and if geneology records aren't your forte then you might want to consider any military service in your family history as american Legion, WWi Veterans, Vietnam Vet, COnfederate, Freedom Alliance Fund, etc. may be applicable. I am disabled myself looking for my 17 and 16 year olds so if anyone else got a response or has any additional ideas I would be greatful.

-- Anonymous, October 09, 2004

I am also looking for scholarships! Both of my parents are mentally disabled and are in and out of the hospital all of the time. They are both unable to work and are struggling to get on disability as their illnesses get worse. I have a twin sister who is also looking for the same thing. I have rised above my circumsatances and plan to be a evangelists to tell people of my incredible testimony. If you would please e-mail me if you find any information at all. Scholarships will be my only chance to go to college as my parents can barely afford to take care of themselves. Thank you for your time! Happy Searching!

-- Anonymous, October 21, 2004

Hi there, I have gotten numerous emails from lots of people and I thought I would post what I have been sending people.

At the moment, I am trying to find someone that will sponsor a grant for children of "naturally" disabled parents (for example disability caused by birth defect) as I said before. I have come across grants/scholarships for children of disabled parents, but only if the parent has been disabled through military service, accidents on the job, terrorist attacks, service in the police force, fire departments, etc. I think there might be a few for children and/or children of parents with AIDS, ADD, ADHD, and the visual and hearing impaired. There is a book that all this is in with new editions for every 2 years or so. "Financial Aid for the Disabled and Their Families." It is written by Gail Ann Schlachter and R. David Weber. You can ask for it at your local library. If they do not have a copy of the book, perhaps they can interloan a copy or purchase one. It is available for $40.00 from Reference Service Press. or call (916) 939-9620. The best advice I can give is to go to the library and search through all the reference section. There is always multiple scholarship books and millions of scholarships, for it seams everything but for kids like us. I even found a list of colleges once that offer their own scholarships for children of disabled parents, but i'm not sure of the qualifications. Hope this helps and God bless, Rebecca Volzer

-- Anonymous, October 21, 2004

It is amazing that aid is readily avaliable to children of illegal immigrants children with parents in Prison and etc. But if are legally disabled i yet to find any help for my son how will soon be ready to enter a university. I have not given up and will post any info I come across that might help our children.

-- Anonymous, November 01, 2004

I just received amazing news! I found someone who would sponsor a scholarship and I thought I would let you all know. Through the Looking Glass, an organization in California has started a scholarship for children of disabled parents. If you want, feel free to pass this information on. I hope this helps. Thank you. Have a wonderful week and good luck! ~Rebecca Volzer

-- Anonymous, November 17, 2004

Moderation questions? read the FAQ